Fun in the Sun
As I was laying on the beach this past Saturday, I was thinking to myself, “this sun feels amazing…” followed by, “E, best put on some more suntan lotion.” It might be the temperature, but one thing is for sure, summer is in full swing! The temperature is hotter than hot and most often than not… along with all that summer fun comes an extra dose of UV RAYS. I know you may be sick of all the suntan articles by now, but there is a reason for this mass textodious (my word for abundance of info via media) of sun info. It’s undoubtedly because those so called ‘sun rays’ have been proven to be a B-I-G health hazard. With all of the ‘he said/she said’ rumors about sun facts, I took it upon myself to do some research via the Skin Cancer Foundation to get you the real deal on what’s up with the sun.
So, here are the facts you need to know:
- Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in theU.S. Every year there are more new cases of skin cancer than breast, prostate, and colon cancer combined.
- 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer in their life.
- 90% of the visible changes commonly attributed to aging are caused by the sun.
- 80% of a person’s lifetime sun exposure is not acquired before age 18; only about 23 percent of lifetime exposure occurs by age 18.
- Between 1980 and 2004, the annual incidence of melanoma among young women increased by 50%, from 9.4 cases to 13.9 cases per 100,000 women.
- Until age 39, women are almost twice as likely to develop melanoma as men.
- Frequent tanners using new high-pressure sun lamps may receive as much as 12 times the annual UVA dose compared to the dose they receive from normal sun exposure.
- Nearly 30 million people tan indoors in the U.S. every year; 2.3 million of them are teens.
- On an average day, more than one million Americans use tanning salons. 71% of patrons are girls and women aged 16-29.
- First exposure to tanning beds in youth increases melanoma risk by 75%.
And if that doesn’t scare you into putting on suntan lotion, my word, are you even human? No matter what your preference is… spray, powder, waterproof, make sure you are covered! Here are some of my favorite sun protection products I use while working out while sweating it out.
With all this technological convenience, there is no excuse not to protect yourself – before you wreck yourself. Remember, don’t forget your lips, eyes, scalp, and hair (yes, sun damage doesn’t care what body part it takes a toll on).
Another new and noteworthy product to check out if you’re still looking for a sunscreen: Sephora offers up a plethora (yes I did learn this vocab from clueless) of fun sun products in this one convenient little package:
I know putting it on may not be quick, or part of your daily routine, but from a girl who is scared to death of getting old (oh no, oh my, WRINKLES! why that’s no flattering at all!) I would recommend adding sun protection to your daily regimen! Oh, don’t forget your green hat…(old school shout out anyone?) Well, any big hat will do. Throw on those oversized glasses, and a cover-up (darker colors are better protection). These accessories are in vogue, not to mention the gratitude your skin will offer up.
For more on facts on the sun please take a look at the Skin Cancer Foundation .
So kids… remember…. whenever you take it off… don’t forget to put – it – on.